HOW TO START
YOUR OWN BUSINESS
Doing Business in Ethiopia
Any investor wanting to start up a business in Ethiopia needs to be well prepared and well informed. The minimum capital required for a foreign investor is USD 200.000 per project*. However, for instance, if a foreign investor invests in partnership with a domestic investor the minimum capital required is reduced to USD 150.000.
Before starting any activity, the following preliminary steps must be addressed:
- Researching the market your company will operate in and whether that is in accordance with the Investment Proclamation;
- Selecting the type of business organization you would like to establish;
- Identifying a knowledgeable local agent (with a power of attorney);
- Verification of the available agro-climatic conditions for your specific crops – if applicable;
- Export procedures – if applicable.
Establishing a company
A legalized copy of an official English translation of your Memorandum of Association (statuten) and Articles of Association (oprichtingsakte).